Figure Name: Joe
Created by: Frank
1. Dick Bruno (1901-1986) performed at times under the name
2. In the act, Bruno (Brunard) would speak with a French accent, and
Joe would make wise cracks in a heavy Brooklyn accent.
3. Bruno purchased Joe from Max Holden's New York City magic shop on
December 4, 1941.
4. The figure was originally named "Brewster," but was
later renamed Joe Flip after a saxophone player named Flip Phillips.
5. Joe was repainted by Frank Marshall on July 2, 1954.
6. Connie Irvin, Bruno's daughter, donated Joe to Vent Haven Museum
through Bruno's estate.
7. Vent David Erskine facilitated the donation.
8. According to Erskine, Marshall though of Joe Flip as his masterpiece.
9. Joe is located in Building One and cannot be seen on any
of the three virtual pans.
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.