Figure Name: Charlie
1980 Created by: Gizmo
original used by Edgar Bergen
1. The original Charlie McCarthy became famous as the wise-cracking sidekick
to Edgar Bergen, the most famous of all ventriloquists.
2. Bergen and McCarthy ruled the radio airwaves for over 20 years in
the 1930's, '40's, and '50's.
3. This figure is not an original Charlie and
was never used by Edgar Bergen.
4. This replica is not a working figure.
Gizmo Labs had authorization to create this figure as a
museum piece by the Bergen Foundation with the stipulation that it be
non-functional. The mouth slots
are drawn on, and there are no working mechanisms in the body.
This replica is made from molds taken from an authentic
6. For most tourists at Vent Haven, seeing this figure is the
highlight of the tour.
7. One of the authentic Charlie McCarthys is on permanent display at
the Smithsonian Institute.
8. There is some debate about how many other authentic Charlies
9. This replica is on display in Building One of the museum, and is
thus not visible in any of the Quicktime Virtual Pans on this
10. For trivia buffs, you can read even more about Bergen and
McCarthy in DUMMY
DAYS , a biography of Bergen and four other vents,
written by Vent Haven Museum advisor Kelly Asbury. You can purchase
the book at Amazon.com at the link above, or buy
the book from the museum, and all proceeds will go to the
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.