Figure Name: Cecil
circa 1937 Created by: George
and Glenn McElroy
Valentine Vox (of Vox and Walters)
Fright wig, stick out tongue, ears wiggle, winker, nose wiggles,
eyes and eyebrows move, eyes cross, upper lip moves
1. Cecil Wigglenose is the only McElroy figure
in the Vent Haven collection that is regularly used. He is
demonstrated by museum staff during regular guided tours and during
unguided convention tours.
2. In addition to Cecil Wigglenose, this figure has also gone by the
name of "Jerry McGinty."
3. If you'd like to see this McElroy figure in action, you
can view a short silent video of Cecil by visiting the multimedia
section of the website or by clicking this link: low
bandwidth | high
4. Valentine Vox (of Vox and Walters) died in 1943.
5. Valentine Vox is a stage name, taken from a series of 19th
century novels by Henry Cockton about a mystery solving
6. This figure has been repaired and maintained several times. The
McElroys restored the figure in 1974.
7. Most recently, ventriloquist and Vent Haven advisor Jeff Dunham
repaired a stuck left eyebrow on January 17, 2004.
8. The photo to the left and the video mentioned above were both
made in 2003, before the Dunham repair mentioned above. The stuck
left eyebrow is noticeable in both.
9. This figure was acquired for Vent Haven Museum by W.S. Berger
prior to the summer of 1955.
10. Cecil is the official mascot of Vent Haven Museum. An image of
Cecil appears on all official Vent Haven correspondence, and that
same image appears in the upper left hand corner of every page on
11. Cecil is on display in Building One of the museum and thus is
not visible in any of the Quicktime Virtual Pans on this website.
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.