Figure Name: Ronald Reagan
1989 Created by: Steve
1. This Ronald Reagan figure is one of about
25 Reagan figures created by Axtell Expressions.
2. Axtell Expressions sold 21 figures identical to this one over a
three year period.
3. The original Axtell Reagan was created for and used by
ventriloquist Rick Mitchell.
4. When asked about the process of creating this figure, Axtell
explained, "I used WED clay (a particular water based clay with oil designed for Walt Disney) and it was cast in latex. It's in my original style, which is pretty primitive and rough if you examine it. The style was completely cartoony with not much emphasis on form or finishing."
5. Ron Reagan, Jr. has posed for photos with this
6. Axtell Expressions has also created vent figures of Presidents
Bush (the elder) and Clinton. However, according to Axtell, "They are not real popular sellers because the user has to imitate them which is pretty difficult doing ventriloquism. They are good publicity items however. I'm not sure if we will continue to make presidents or not. I've got my eye on a Governor right now."
7. Steve Axtell was named a member of the Vent Haven Board of
Advisors in July of 2004.
8. Visit the Axtell Expressions websites: www.axtell.com
9. Reagan is on display in Building Two on the left side of the
building. However, he is not visible in either of the Quicktime
Virtual Pans of Building Two.
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.