Figure Name: Knucklehead
Created by: replica
by Jerry Layne, original by Paul Winchell
1. The original Knucklehead Smiff was used by the late Paul
Winchell on his television show during the 1950's and 1960's.
2. This replica of Knucklehead Smiff was molded by Jerry Layne from
the original figure.
3. Knucklehead's mouth is crooked like the original made in the 1950's; people think it's a mistake, but this is exactly the way it was carved by Winchell to show that Knucklehead was not as intelligent as
Winchell's main figure, Jerry Mahoney.
4. Knucklehead referred to Winchell as "Mr. Winkle."
5. Winchell didn't give Knucklehead moving eyes because Knuck isn't that smart.
6. The real Knucklehead was always bothered by the fact that his
hair was not actual hair. Like the real Knucklehead, this replica's
hair is painted on.
7. The last name "Smiff" came from the Snuffy Smiff comics.
8. Knucklehead is located in Building One and cannot be seen on any
of the three virtual pans.
9. For trivia buffs, you can read even more about Winchell and
Knucklehead in DUMMY
DAYS , a biography of Winchell and four other vents,
written by Vent Haven Museum advisor Kelly Asbury. You can purchase
the book at Amazon.com at the link above, or buy
the book from the museum, and all proceeds will go to the
Do you have additional information about this
figure? Do you have a suggestion for a future Figure of the Month? Is there a figure
maker whose work you would like to see featured? Let us know by emailing
the Vent Haven staff.